On Wednesday authorities cancelled annual New Year’s Eve celebrations and fireworks in the heart of Brussels after revealing an alleged jihadi plot to attack the capital. A judge would decide later on Thursday whether those detained could be held further.
Two people arrested this week, named as 30-year-old Said S and 27-year-old Mohammed K, would be held for another month after being charged with threatening to carry out a terrorist attack, prosecutors said.
Also on Thursday, Belgian prosecutors charged a tenth suspect over the terror attacks in Paris last month.
The Belgian national, identified only as Ayoub B, was detained on Wednesday after a raid on a house in the troubled Brussels neighbourhood of Molenbeek, the federal prosecutor’s office said.
The suspect has been charged with “terrorist murder” and involvement in the activities of a terrorist group. He will appear in court again for a custody hearing within five days.
Molenbeek, home to the Paris attacks fugitive Salah Abdeslam, has emerged as a hotbed of Islamist extremism.